QuadBot – 3D Printable Walking Robot to Teach you Code
Based in London UK, EngiMake has created the QuadBot to give anyone the opportunity to make their own robot!
QuadBot is a 3D printable robotics platform. Using the Full Kit with the bundled learning resources, you can develop the transferable maker skills to make your own robot! They are:
- Coding – ArduBlockly, C++, and LabVIEW
- 3D Design – Autodesk Fusion 360
- 3D Printing – Cura and Ultimaker
- Maths (For Robotics)
- Electronics – Arduino compatible
For those makers with the 3D Printers, they can print their own parts and get the Maker Kit to build their own robotic platform!
What can you do with it?
You can use the QuadBot in both flavors (Full Kit and Maker Kit) to improve your maker skills. However to get the most out of your robot, add some sensors to add new capabilities and behaviors! Some of the ones’ we have seen so far from users:
- LaserBot – Using a Laser and 2 additional servos, the LaserBot is a mobile balloon popping, fire starting terminator.
- PlantBot – Using a few light sensors, the PlantBot is a plant pot that will follow the light.
- AvoidBot – Using an ultrasonic sensor, the AvoidBot never bumps into things and can navigate a route.
- MechBot – A Gundam Wing themed robot with force sensitive LED activation
The video below shows some user robotic creations.
Why it’s Unique?
QuadBot is Real Deal Robotics. This means that you can learn real robotics knowledge and how to implement them in code – you have an opportunity to engage with inverse kinematics!
QuadBot is highly customizable. Compatibility with the Arduino platform and electronics means that you can code and use sensors that you are familiar with! Most of the parts are 3D Printable, combine this with the 3D Design skills you learn from the learning resources and you can really make your own robot!
QuadBot is suitable for makers of all ages and skill levels. It can be coded in 3 ways – Graphical blocks (Ardublockly), suitable for very beginners, C++ (Arduino) suitable for makers and also LabVIEW – suitable for those who want to take their robotics skills to an industry standard.
QuadBot teaches skills with useful coding languages/programs. The Arduino program and code is commonly used and has lots of helpful resources available online. The Autodesk Fusion 360 software is powerful, easy to learn, easy to use and is free for makers. Everything you learn are transferable maker skills – you will have a good repertoire of knowledge in design, hardware, and software which you can build on for other projects/jobs!
The Core of the QuadBot
At the core of any robot lies its heart. In this case, the QuadBoard. It’s a circuit board designed to include the microcontroller, servo controllers, power circuitry so that you don’t have to fiddle with modules to get going! It’s got plenty of analog/digital Input/Output so you can plug in any sensor you want!
- Print time 20 Hours
- Assembly Time 1 Hour
- Software and Coding: GRAPHICAL (Ardublockly), C++ (Arduino), LabVIEW
- Connectivity: 8 Digital Inputs, 5 Analog Outputs
- Inputs/Outputs: 2 Buttons, 8 RGB LED’s, 12 Servo Motors, Light Sensor
- Charging: Onboard via Micro-B USB
- Wireless: Compatible with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
- Dimensions: 14 x 14 x 9 cm assembled
- Weight: Under 1Kg
Price & Availability
QuadBot is available on kickstarter now, priced at £135 for the Maker Kit and £219 for the Full Kit+Bluetooth (a few early bird discounts are still available!). The products will be shipped in April 2017. Already made 175% target as of 5th December!