Turn Any Place Into A Workplace With The Samsung DeX
Samsung’s new desktop dock turns the Galaxy S8 into a grab-and-go PC. It is called the Samsung DeX. Samsung DeX lets you connect your Galaxy S8/S8+ to a monitor, keyboard and mouse. This way it offers a desktop experience powered by your phone. So you can turn any place into a workplace. Samsung DeX gives you what you want from a desktop experience. It gives a big screen, a full-size keyboard and a mouse. Just plug your phone into the DeX Station to use apps, review documents and set or check notifications on a desktop interface.
The DeX looks like a hockey puck when closed. But it flips open to reveal a USB-C port for plugging in your phone. There’s an HDMI output to connect to an external display. Plus, there are two USB 2.0 ports and an ethernet jack. You can also connect a standard keyboard and mouse via Bluetooth.
The Android Apps That Work With DeX.
A handful of Android apps will be optimized for this desktop view. This includes the default internet browser, but not Google’s Chrome browser. Along with, Microsoft Office and some Adobe applications. That means you can run multiple apps at once. You can grab the corner of each window to resize the apps, just as you would do on a PC. Apps that are not DeX optimized will open in a phone-shaped window.
Email & Copy-Paste Using DeX.
Things like sending an email, bolding text, or copying and pasting between apps are way easier on a desktop. With Samsung DeX, it can be done with a click of a mouse or a punch of a key.
Other Things You Can Do.
- Multitasking: You can multitask using Samsung DeX. Work in multiple documents at once and toggle between apps more easily.
- Keyboard Shortcuts: You can easily toggle between apps, copy and paste, open menus, undo mistakes and more.
- Drag & Drop: You can select multiple files and quickly drag and drop them into Samsung Email or your Messages App.
- Right Click: You can access a variety of contextual menus with right click.
Access Data From Your Phone.
Use Samsung DeX to make your apps more desktop-like. You can see more content with an expanded interface and get what you need. The emails, files, photos and other such data on your phone are now more accessible in a desktop environment.
- Be More Creative: Edit photo with Adobe apps including Lightroom Mobile.
- Be More Productive: Keep working wherever you go with the Microsoft Office mobile apps.
- Be More Informed: With the Samsung Internet, read the news and browse the web using a desktop interface.
- Be More Entertained: Enjoy watching video on YouTube and gaming on the large screen.
Calls And Text Using DeX.
Your phone is still a phone, even when it’s plugged into the DeX Station. You can answer phone calls, read text messages while using DeX Station. You can also use settings, which are accessible from the taskbar on your monitor. Virtual Windows machine can also be accessed via VDI(Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) solutions.
Keeping It Secure.
With Samsung DeX, you are using the files that are already stored on your device. Quickly log-in to your online accounts without having to type in your password using Samsung Pass. Keep your sensitive information even safer with a secure folder that requires an additional password. There exact price of the DeX Station has not been announced yet. But it is expected to cost around $160.