Switch : A Flexible, New Home Console by Nintendo
The new console by Nintendo, formerly known as Nintendo NX, has been officially named as the Nintendo Switch. The Japanese multinational was working on this new console since March 2015. The new console is said to be a brand-new concept.
The Nintendo Switch was revealed on 20th October 2016 and is set to release in the beginning of January 2017. Nintendo plans to hold an event at the Tokyo International Exhibition Center on January 13, 2017, and has called it Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017, in order to build the excitement for the Switch.
The Nintendo Switch is a home console that has got four components. The console looks like a tablet. This console can then be plugged into the Nintendo Switch Dock to connect to a TV. The Switch’s primary controllers are Joy-Con L and Joy-Con R. The It is a system that is flexible enough to be used a portable yet can also be played at home. The cradle that plugs into the television also works as a charger for the screen. It has got a black, boxy look.
The controller is divided into three parts: the left part being the D-pad, while the right part holds the ABXY buttons. And then there’s a second thumbstick. These can be removed from the main controller and attached to the screen.
It is said to have a touchscreen display with a screen size of 6.2-inches, though Nintendo hasn’t confirmed the exact measurement of the Switch’s display. It looks like a more slender version of Wii U’s Gamepad. The screen here looks much larger compared to the one in Gamepad. There’s a little stand at the back of the Switch’s screen so that it can be made to sit on a level surface.
Features of Nintendo Switch
- In the Nintendo Switch, the games will run at 900p and at 60 frames per second. It will also be capable of 4K Ultra HD video streaming and the console might even bring up games footage to 4K when plugged into the cradle. Even in that case, the games will still run in 1080p.
- There has not been much information about the RAM of Nintendo Switch, but it can be between 6GB and 8GB.
- With Nintendo Switch you can detach the controllers and hold them in each hand.
- It will also be getting a stand-alone controller. There is not many words on the button configuration and whether the existing controllers will be compatible with the Switch or not. The Switch’s removable controllers can be turned on their side and used as tiny stand-alone gamepads.
- For the head-to-head gaming, two screens can be placed next to each other. This option could be a lot of fun with a multiplayer game.
Here are names of few games that will be available for Switch:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild:
- Mario Kart8
- Super Mario
Here are the names of a few software partners:
- 505 Games.
- ARC System Works Co. Ltd
- Autodesk, Inc
- Electronic Arts
- Firelight Technologies
- Marvelous Inc.
- Platinum Games Inc.
- Silicon Studio Corporation
- Telltale Games
- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Price & Availability
There has not been any update on the price of the Nintendo Switch but it is expected to go on sale in March 2017, and will definitely be priced a bit higher than what many are expecting.
The Nintendo Switch seems to be an interesting and flexible console. Nintendo says it will reveal full game demonstrations, product configuration, and related items at the time of launch.