Huawei P9 – The Flagship Smartphone is Bound to Make Heads Turn!
Huawei has a strong history of releasing high-end smartphones at reasonable price points compared to its competitors. The new Huawei P9 is no exception to this rule. Its design resembles the Mate 8, although there is the new brand fingerprint scanner on the rear and powered by advanced technology inside. With two Leica cameras on its rear part, one can be assured that this is a complete smartphone in all respects.
The Huawei P9 Exterior
The smartphone is 6.95mm thick with 5.2in screen covered in an all-metal body that looks gorgeous with a metal finish on the rear too. The detailing on the exterior delivers the premium feel while the slightly curved front glass provides a comfortable experience. It is nice to hold and can be used continuously without any problem. The P9 in available in six colours including Ceramic White, Haze Gold, Mystic Silver and the like. Most of them are reminiscent of the colours used by Apple and do not provide anything new in this factor.
Huawei has unveiled two models of the P9 in its event in London. The resolution of the device stands at 1920×1080 and a tad lower than its own Nexus 6P. Powered by an octa-core Kirin 955 CPU coupled with 3GB of RAM, P9 is a brute phone boasting of incredible performance. It runs on four 2.5GHz A72 cores, along with four 1.8GHz A53 cores while the graphics are powered with the help of Mali T-880.
As stated by the company, the chip is doubly faster than the P8 and 3D graphics performance is even better. It is extremely responsive and can handle several tasks at a time efficiently.
- In terms of storage, the phone features 32GB that is expandable up to 200GB.
- It also features a 3000mAh battery that can last for about 1.2 days if used strenuously.
- The phone also sports a USB-C port reserved for fast charging and though there is no wireless charging like some of its counterparts.
- In terms of connectivity, it supports Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth along with 4G LTE.
One of the highlights of the phone are the rear-embedded camera lens featured by Leica, a camera specialist. This setup uses one standard colour sensor along with one sharp monochrome sensor. The standard 12Mp camera can click primary photos while the monochrome sensor also gets one for itself. Adding up, the pictures get more than 300 percent light and 50 percent outstanding contrast compared to other smartphones. With a hybrid focus system that uses laser, depth and contrast focus, the images are shot instantly. The new autofocus system is faster and better than even the iPhone 6s and even the Galaxy S7 as per reports.
- The camera app is redesigned with Leica and although it looks basic with not many buttons, it is because the app runs on gesture control.
- There are varied camera settings on swipes along with shooting modes and the Pro mode that gives complete control over the fantastic dual-camera, with options to tweak ISO, shutter speed and autofocus.
Huawei P9 and P9 Plus Software
Huawei includes its own EMUI skin that is placed over Android just like many phones launched by Chinese companies. The Huawei Emotion UI 4.1 interface is based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and the software works perfectly fine. The device works, reworking every aspect of Android, with multiple functions, and customisation options.
Announcements of the Availability
The Huawei P9 Plus is expected to be shipped by 20th May in Asia and other countries although there are no plans for a US release currently.
The prices are expected to hover around the $600 mark for the 32GB Huawei P9.